The first St. Peters Church dedicated to St. Peter, was opened for service on April 18, 1847, the foundation stone having been laid by Archdeacon Marriott on December 9, 1846. The site was then in the middle of the sprawling “Mount Esk” Estate (now Nazareth House). This church remained until a historic meeting was held on February 14, 1867 when a resolution was moved by Captain Wettenhall, seconded by Mr. Thomas Smith that a new church should be erected as soon as possible to replace the present dilapidated building as it would not be possible to repair unless at very great cost. It was also advised to put this resolution into effect immediately. The motion was passed.
The new church was built and then consecrated by the second Bishop of Tasmania, Rt. Rev C F Bromby, on Thursday May 13 1869. It was described as early Gothic, built of brick and bluestone with sufficient room to accommodate 250 persons in open seats.
In 2006 members of the congregation refurbished the interior of the church. It is now carpeted, has a semi circular raised platform at the front which is a multi purpose area that is used for communions and can also be used for performances by musicians, singing groups etc. Ease of access into the church is by way of a new pathway at the back of the church and this area is enhanced by a new rose, plant and shrub garden.
We have comfortable separate upholstered modern chairs and cafe tables. These help us to be more versatile and make our church even more user friendly. There is ample “off street” parking within the church grounds.
The Ministry centre is located in the former rectory and is now used for
Kids Fun Church, Bible study, Sewing with Joy, parish meetings and